Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Walk in the Park with a King

It must've been during the late 1970's or early 1980's when I gained a learning experience about someone I hardly knew. My brother had wanted a dog apparently without being aware of the responsibility required. Although my dad and I were the main ones who ended up feeding him, the dog probably still remained frustrated because no one had the patience to spend quality time with him. I say this because he would often jump over the fence to get a different view of the environment.

One day, I decided to take him for a much-needed walk. I mean, I really walked him. I took him through the neighborhood, over the freeway overpass, through a very large park full of trees, people, etc. If I recall correctly, it was a struggle to hold onto the leash that day. King enjoyed that walk, only I didn't know just how happy he was.
When we exited the park on the other side, we crossed the street. As weheaded downhill, King suddenly stopped and turned around to look at me with his big brown eyes. Then, as he stood up on his big, German shepherd-mix hind legs, he wrapped his front paws around my waist and looked at me with eyes expressing immense gratitude as he wagged his tail.
King released his grip and walked a few more paces ahead of me. I guess he decided that one demonstration of appreciation wasn't enough, because seconds later, he repeated the same affection as before. It was as if he wasn't just holding me for starved affection; it was more like saying, "It's about time- I can't tell you how much I needed to get out and see the world. Thank you so much."

One of the greatest values of life is to make time for those we love. Even with a King.

No comments: