Tuesday, October 14, 2008

School Days Challenges

Like many kids, I ran into classmates who made it clear that they wanted a confrontation. Elementary, junior high, senior high- it didn't matter. Human nature is the same no matter where you go. Being as soft and passive as I was, I often did little or nothing in response. Other times, I relied on adults to defend me.

Whether it was an offer of a french fry that I didn't know had fallen on the floor, to name-calling, to intimidating looks and sarcastic comments due to jealousy, I had my share of irritants. Yet, the one thing I'd learned as I grew older, is that life is a two-way street for many, if not most people. That is, despite the ugly side, acts of kindness, respect, and thoughtfulness do exist. Sometimes I've been shown favor when I least expected it, without my having worn makeup, special clothing or hairstyle, or said a word.

So, if you're a kid or know one who's having it rough at school or elsewhere, consider this:


  • Try going to places where you know the troublemaker(s) won't likely be. Examples are a library, museum, or someplace else that's educational. Fools don't typically stay where wisdom is found. If you're at school, choose a different class time or lunch period, if possible. Avoid being alone.

  • When the bully insults you, look him or her straight in the eye, resist the comments with the truth, and walk away. Only an idiot will keep talking by himself. Don't get close enough to be touched, but resist if necessary.

  • If it's possible, have someone videotape any confrontations and report them to the principal or some other authority. Truthfully explain what's been going on.

  • Don't get revenge or stoop to the troublemaker's level, or you'll look and sound as foolish as he or she is. Chances are that the bully has some unresolved issues and is looking for a scapegoat.

  • Do something kind. I know it's contrary to human nature, but if your enemy has any conscience, your good acts may make him feel ashamed for his behavior. It may take time for the effects to occur, so you may have to repeat your good deeds several times.

  • Find something fun to do as a distraction. Otherwise, you may let these problems interfere with your studies and relationships.

  • Talk to God about all your problems. He is a very present help in the time of trouble. If you mean business with Him, He'll settle the issue. Then you need to live for Him as your best Friend, by accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

No comments: