Thursday, December 4, 2008

Getting over being too Shy

I used to be in an emotional "box" to avoid ridicule, personal attack, or embarassment. But now I know who I am, and have just as much right to an opinion as the next person. I can choose to refrain from saying things that cause harm or lead to arguments, or make good conversation that can help.

It took getting to know myself better, and being more careful of how I think before speaking. Sometimes, what a person says influences how he or she feels. What you think or say of yourself, you become. So now I listen more closely before deciding on whether I should say anything. If there's something I can contribute, I'll add to the conversation. If I share similar interests or experiences, I may mention them to help break the ice. Or get the point across that I disagree.

No comments: